Benchmarks & Client Cases
Pull Flow Model in Discrete Assembly
• Finished goods inventory coverage of 15 days with a customer service level of 93% - dysfunctional inventory
• Raw materials and parts stock coverage of 30 days
• Between 1 and 5 days of WIP in production and assembly lines
• 50% of planned production lost due to lack of parts and poor line efficiency
• Finished goods planning based on order forecasts: forecast errors between -18% and 16%
• Functional layout: preassembly lines separated from final assembly lines
• Operators isolated from each other, parts returned to the warehouse, supply of large pallet-sized containers, poor operator standard work, low line balancing efficiency
• Delivery to final assembly line by forklifts, under the instruction of operators or supervisors
• Pull planning algorithm used on a daily basis to compare a certain replenishment level with the current stock of finished goods and create the production orders according to deviations
• Transformation of orders into KANBAN and planning on a daily basis through a logistics box
• Daily schedule determined by freezing one day of production according to levelling rules
• Transformation of one assembly line to two with fewer product references on each; zero changeover time; balanced operation time between operators; small containers on the border of line
• Three Mizusumashi circuits for purchased parts, sub-assemblies and finished goods
The project had a Payback period of 5 months with annual savings surpassing £3 million.
Number of rejected parts reduced by 52% (measured in parts per million)
Number of parts produced by each operator increased by 36% (on average)
Finished goods stock coverage reduced from 50 days to 30
Get the one-page report!
Are you interested in Kaizen Institute's consulting services?
We assist client teams in achieving great results by putting breakthrough paradigms into action.
Are you interested in Kaizen Institute's training courses?
Kaizen Institute's distinctive training programme includes learning the theory and practice and gemba visits.